+ Reply to Thread

Default cutting plaster/lath

We are replacing old windows and insulating the weight pockets. The wall plaster is covering most of the opening and we need to cut the plaster and lath back to put in the solid foam insulation. What is the best way to do this without damaging the surrounding plaster? We are afraid the lath will vibrate if we use a sawsall. The circular saw works ok but is very messy. Any ideas? Thanks.

Default Re: cutting plaster/lath

Drill a few holes instead and inject foam. ???

Don't over do it with the foam or you could bow the jambs. No need to completely fill the pocket in one application. Start at bottom hole, put some in. Let it expand fully. Depends on the particular foam; an hour or so. Repeat with next highest hole that's still open.

I agree with ****hiller and YukYuk, just drill several holes big enough for the nozzle and use minimal expanding foam.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks, but we already tried both types of foam. The slow expanding stuff is way too messy. The regular foam did start to bow the header and is too hard to regulate. We will try the sawsall and stick to the solid foam. I think my husband is going to retrofit a steel plate over the blade to push against the wall and reduce the vibration.

Thanks for the input!