+ Reply to Thread

Post Door knob replacements

Help! I'm remodeling my sister's house and we'd like to replace all the old discolored worn interior doorknobs - bed/bath and closet. Problem I'm having is I'm looking for tulip or bell shape which I can find, but the doors have a 3/4 to 7/8 inch latch bore and all I can find are ones that require a 1 inch latch bore. Can anyone direct me to a source? Am I going to have to re-drill all the doors? The old ones are Harloc but I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by nantodd; 08-04-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Default Re: Door kob replacements

Try Yale Harloc. My guess is if you are going from 3/4 to 1" you will have to drill out the doors.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Door knob replacements

That's what the originals are and I haven't been able to find Harloc anywhere - even ******. Know of any vendors that carry them?

Thanks.

Default Re: Door knob replacements

Thanks, guys. I reviewed the sites and nobody has the style that she wants - good old tulip or bell, in polished brass. They're not old enough to be antique or restotation - just old. I will attempt to drill out the latch bore on the least-obvious door (in case I get it crooked) and just buy what's available on the shelf with a 1 inch latch bore.
    I really appreciate all your help on this. It's nice to know there are wise people out there willing to share!

Nan

I would suggest you pick up some 3/4" dowel, tap it into the hole to provide a solid center for your drilling.
    Jack

You can make a template similar to this one

from 3 pieces of 1 x 4 material. Drill a 1" hole in the proper position in the piece that fits over the edge of the door, and clamp your homemade jig to the door. Then use a hole saw, rather than a spade bit to rebore the edge of the door. The jig will guide your hole saw.
    HTH

Dave