+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Mounting 42" TV on Basement Wall

I purchased a 42" TV with the intention of mounting it on my basement wall. I have have 97 year old victorian house and the basement is finished. However, it is finished with Wood Paneling, not plaster, not drywall, lovely wood paneling.

I'm finding out that the studs do not follow normal spacing convention as they were undoubtedly added not for any wall support but simply to hold up the paneling. It appears that the studs are approximately 28" apart. Also, there appears to be a horizontal 2 x 4 running through the middle of the framing. So, it makes an H shape between the studs.

My question, is there any way to mount the TV to this type of framing? Keep in mind that the mount itself is only 27" so, there is really no way to hit two studs? Can it be mounted to the horizontal 2 x 4 or is that too risky? The TV weighs about 90pounds.

Thanks,

Default Re: Mounting 42" TV on Basement Wall

Thanks all for your feedback. Both valid points. I'm concerned both by the security of the studs and about drilling into an old foundation.

Question, If I use the 12" screw to go into the foundation, how large of a risk is there of water leakage? I assume the foundation is thick enough to support drilling into it but how can I be sure. These old houses!!!!!!!

Thanks ASC. I checked last night and the distance from the wood panelling to the foundation is roughly 4". How long of a bolt will I need?

Thanks for all of your help. This sounds like the perfect solution.

NVH

is the TV going to be mounted with a
    articulating swing arm?
    flat mount?
    or tilt?

If it is flat or tilt try a different mount. Like this
    [URL="http://www.peerlessmounts.com/dyn/Products/BrowseProduct.aspx/tn/33/u/t/av/1214"]

The mount is 32.75" wide and is also available in just flat.

a side note: If you plan on recessing the TV, make sure you allow for ventilation. Most manufacturers recommend 4" spacing all around the TV. If you can't achieve this you will need to use fans to exhaust hot air and bring in fresh air. Also it is best to use an articulating arm for this application to easily service the TV.