+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stuck valve

Default stuck valve

I have a stuck water shutoff valve under sink. What can I use to losen this?

Default Re: stuck valve

It depends on your intentions. If you're trying to turn off the valve to work on the fixture, don't bother, as you'll likely just cause it to leak. It will be much easier to turn off the water main coming into the house than to mess with the anglestop.

If you are wanting to replace the anglestop with a new one, can you describe the current valve? Is it a compression style that has a nut screwed to it, securing it to the pipe, or is the "nut" part of the valve, indicating that it's a threaded valve. You might even be able to see threads on the length of pipe coming out of the wall if it is a threaded valve.

Also, what is the diameter of the pipe coming out of the wall? If it's copper and give-or-take 1/2" in diameter, then you've likely got a compression valve. Use two wrenches placed on the valve and nut with the handles forming a "V" that you can squeeze together to break the nut loose. If the pipe is give or take 3/4" in diameter, it is a threaded valve. If there is enough stub sticking out of the wall, grab it with vise grips, then set a wrench on the valve to form a "V" to break the joint loose.

Remember, before doing anything, turn the water off at the main.

Good luck and report back
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I always try to exercise the valves in my house on a more or less yearly basis. It may sound silly, but they never stick after I start this. It's the valves nobody has touched for ten years that corrode and jam.

To add to Ed21's post never leave the valve all the way open til it stops. Always open it all the way then turn it back abouta turn.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Gotta go with A. Spruce on this one. IF you get it to turn, you will likely A)cause it to leak forever more and B)never get it to completely close, giving you a constant trickle while trying to change out your fixture or whatever you're doing with it. Where I live, the water is extremely hard and mineral rich. When I aquire a new property, I automatically change out all fixture supply valves for the 1/4-turn ball type. They have proven to be far more resistant to calcium and mineral build-up related issues.
    Whether threaded, sweat or compression, plan on changing out that valve.
    Last edited by renowarrior; 08-04-2008 at 01:57 AM.