+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old ducts

Default Old ducts

I'm looking to have a/c installed but have been told the ducts in my heating system are for heat only. How would central air effect these ducts?

Default Re: Old ducts

That's an interesting statement.

Could you elaborate as to why you were told this and by whom?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I'm sure part of the problem is that the duct work in not insulated - in ac mode the duct work would sweat.If the system is in the walls then insulating them would quite an issue. you would need to re rout or re install the duct wory .

In the estimate received from the HVAC installer, they said " the existing ductwork throughout the home is designed for a heat only application" and this would probably limit the performance. We're looking at central a/c for the first floor and mini splits for the second. The house is 100 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Infraredsurvey.com View Post
    I'm sure part of the problem is that the duct work in not insulated - in ac mode the duct work would sweat.If the system is in the walls then insulating them would quite an issue. you would need to re rout or re install the duct wory .
    interesting ... around these parts the metal duct work isn't normally insulated as a basic install and we don't normally see any sweating during A/C use.
    Actually if the term " heating only ducts" was used around here there would be plently of chuckling.

I guess it must be a regional thing.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    interesting ... around these parts the metal duct work isn't normally insulated as a basic install and we don't normally see any sweating during A/C use.
    Actually if the term " heating only ducts" was used around here there would be plently of chuckling.

I guess it must be a regional thing.
    I will tell you for sure down here an ac duct that wasn't insulated would really sweat like a cold glass of water.

canuk do you even have a need for ac up where you are at? I mean my temp is probally set below the out door temp up there

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    I will tell you for sure down here an ac duct that wasn't insulated would really sweat like a cold glass of water.
    Yep ... I can see that having high RH.
    I guess if the systems run through the attic space that would also make a difference compared to being in the conditioned space that we normally do here.
    - Rush