+ Reply to Thread

Default building inspectors

Just wondering,A tree fell on the house i rent and went through the roof,into the bedroom ,during a storm.The whole house shook when it fell.The wiring dept. and the building inspector came by that night.The wire dept. cut the power lines going to the house and the inspector said he would come by the next day.They told us not to go back into the house until the building inspector and wire dept. gave the ok..Well the wire dept. hooked us back up 3 days later and the inspector never came back,,not even the next day to check the damage.I called the inspector and asked if he was coming by and he told me as long as the wire dept. hooked us up then we were fine.I told him i had checked the wires in the damaged room (which the roof was covered by a tarp)and they were live.The inspector still has not come by as this happened July 19.I live in Mass.The contractor took 2 weeks to put the roof together and his work does not look that good as the rafters are not flush in any way to the peak of the roof.My question is, Does the inspector have to come by to check the structure?Also the contractor was hired from N.H. which does not require a license.Is this legal?

Default Re: building inspectors

Sounds as though there was definately some communication breakdown somwhere.

Depending on the actual damage to the roof it may not have been structurally unsafe to be in the home. If the damage was only a hole through the decking and not damaging any rafters it becomes a judgement call by the inspector. If there were broken rafters then it becomes an issue of structural integrety and would certainly raise the question if it was safe to be inside the home. The least that should have been in place should be from the insurance company relocating you while repairs are done.

As for the inspection to the repairs it certainly sounds like it should be done by the building department .... depending.
    Usually anything that deals with structure is typically required to be inspected ... if the rafters were replaced or repaired this should be considered as structure and be inspected. If the repairs only involved the roof decking this may fall under the same requirement as re-roofing and some areas don't require an inspection for this .... depends.
    You should still be able to request an inspection regardless.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Good point Yuk Yuk .... regarding the owner or property managment .
    - Rush

[QUOTE=murph;31501]Just wondering,A tree fell on the house i rent and went through the roof,into the bedroom ,during a storm.The whole house shook when it fell.The wiring dept. and the building inspector came by that night.The wire dept. cut the power lines going to the house and the inspector said he would come by the next day.They told us not to go back into the house until the building inspector and wire dept. gave the ok..Well the wire dept. hooked us back up 3 days later and the inspector never came back,,not even the next day to check the damage.I called the inspector and asked if he was coming by and he told me as long as the wire dept. hooked us up then we were fine. Here I would assume that the inspector had looked at the structure the night before and felt it was stable but his concern was the wiring and didn't want you to be in a house that had the potential to catch fire due to wiring. so once the wiring department felt that part was safe then the inspector would feel safe about you going back inside. I told him i had checked the wires in the damaged room (which the roof was covered by a tarp)and they were live.The inspector still has not come by as this happened July 19.I live in Mass.The contractor took 2 weeks to put the roof together and his work does not look that good as the rafters are not flush in any way to the peak of the roof. here is one of the problems with construction the building inspector doesn't care what it looks like, he only cares if it is done to technical code. you would think that quality of work would also be a factor but it isn't as long as you have the approved fasteners at the specified pattern and amount that is all they care.My question is, Does the inspector have to come by to check the structure?Also the contractor was hired from N.H. which does not require a license.Is this legal?[/QUOTE]that would be something that you would have to chec out there locally. every area has different requirements as far as licenses and qualifacations.

just to clarify:the inspector never came in the house to check the structure,not even the night he came by .he only saw it from the outside,the pic .enclosed is my bedroom with a pine tree in it.there were numerous rafters broke.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007__MG_1914.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	1474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005__MG_1912.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	1476  

*** why they would do it that way then I wouldn't have an idea. building inspection departments can be very different from one place to another. and how one person interpets the guide lines can also be very different. I sure wouldn't even attempt to give you an excuse why they would act in such a way. all I can say is under those circumstances I would go higher up the ladder of authority. I would for sure try to get my land lord to pursue it further.

Big ditto to havanagranite's post.

That is some mess .

Couldn't or wouldn't begin to figure the reasoning of the inspector.
    - Rush

If you do not receive the necessary assistance from your local building inspector, then contact the State Building Inspector in your area. You may call the Department of Public Safety in MA out of Boston. The state will review the situation with the local inspector and you to resolve the issue and protect you against contractors.