+ Reply to Thread

Question painting steel siding

Our 35 year old steel siding is chipping in places on the east and south sides. We know we need to power wash prior to painting but do we need to prime the bare areas? The siding is a faux wood grain so it isn't a smooth surface to begin with. Also what kind of paint would be best to use? We are in Northern Wisconsin so we have weather extremes.

Default Re: painting steel siding

I'm a big fan of Benj Moore paints but I'd suggest you go to a Sherwin Williams dealer/store near you and inquire about their line of Duration paints. Might just be the ticket for you....or look on their web site then call the rep at the 800# they give. The paint is expensive but all in all you get what you pay for and paint is the least expensive of any siding so think of it that way when they tell you how much the paints gonna run you. My guess is upwards of $40-50 a gallon.
    You might start here... http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pro/problem/tips/punch/
    http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pro/...ucts/index.jsp
    Last edited by andybuildz; 08-02-2008 at 04:17 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Wink Re: painting steel siding

Quote Originally Posted by bird lady View Post
    Our 35 year old steel siding is chipping in places on the east and south sides. We know we need to power wash prior to painting but do we need to prime the bare areas? The siding is a faux wood grain so it isn't a smooth surface to begin with. Also what kind of paint would be best to use? We are in Northern Wisconsin so we have weather extremes.
    After stripping the steel siding wash it with vinagar diluted in luke warm water then apply a coat of latex base primer sealer only. Paint a second coat of your favorite latex paint only
    If a oil paint his applied this will chip over n over.
    Note that latex paint will expand with the season wich oil will crack

Have a nice day
    Painters advice