+ Reply to Thread

Default i am freezing in this house

my house is only three years old but i cant seem to keep it warm without auxillery heat coming on at 67 degrees i believe my heat pump is undersized i spoke to my landlord he says everything is fine i am looking foward to buying this house next year but my electric bills are averaging 500.00 dollars on a cold month i cant even maintain 70 degrees i really need some proffesional help im freezing in this house please help me

Default Re: i am freezing in this house

Call your local city hall and complain to the Minimum Housing Dept. or Housing Code Enforcement.

It is the responsibility under the law of the landlord, not you, to maintain a minimum temperature (usually 65 degrees) in your apt. at all times throughout the winter.

It would be best if you went down to city hall in person to get a written receipt that you filed a complaint on a certain day, if the landlord still won't do anything, contact a lawyer.

Ask minimum housing to put the rent in escrow until the landlord complies with the heat requirement---that way the landlord won't get any rent money until he fixes the problem.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 02-08-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NashuaTech View Post
    Call your local city hall and complain to the Minimum Housing Dept. or Housing Code Enforcement.
    I was going to say to let the landlord keep his frigid house and you go buy one that works as it should.

Be prepared, if you piss off the landlord that your living arrangement may need to change anyway.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I don't recommend that anyone wait on an irresponsible landlord before contacting minimum housing.

My husband works as a dispatcher for the local fire dept; he always tells of a number of tragic incidents over the years that have occured in our town because a landlord was too lazy or too cheap to fix defective heating equipment.

It's always the tenant that is victimized by a landlord's "pissed off" negligence and flaunting of the law.
    Last edited by Rosaleeta; 02-09-2010 at 07:43 AM.

From reading your post the complaint is not that you can't get the house warm enough, it's that at that temp the aux heat is needed to get it warmer. If that's what you mean, welcome to the wonderful world of heat pumps.

I don't know where you live but once the outdoor air drops below about 35 the aux heat may very well be needed. Some parts of the Southeast have been experiencing colder than normal weather and folks with heat pumps are really feeling the pain over their electric bills.

[QUOTE=NashuaTech;138306]Call your local city hall and complain to the Minimum Housing Dept. or Housing Code Enforcement.

Involving Housing Code Enforcement may sometimes backfire--the power of the HCE in most jurisdictions is limited to declaring the property uninhabitable. If that happens, the tenant may have to move out, which, in some cases, is just what the landlord wants.

Howdy heat pump may need you to switch on the electric heater in the pump as the air only allows heat pump to work till about 20 degrees. Has anyone looked into the attic to see how much insulation. Have insulation contractor out for inspection and recomendations and a heating contractor before you buy the home so you have a clear idea of how to proceed. But Great time to go on vacation to some warm lush area of the world - if only life could be this sweet.