+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question 1926 instantaneous water heater leak

I have a 1926 Humphrey Ruud Instantaneous water heater (tankless) it has been in continuous service since its installation in the spring of 1926. Recently it developed a leak in one of the water lines, have contacted 6 plumbers who say they have never seen one and don't know how to repair the leak. Also contacted the Rudd Rheem Company who does not have any idea who might know how to repair it. Don't know where else to turn, its a beautiful old heater which still works. Given what some people say about the reliability of today's tankless water heaters I would really like to keep this old one if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Default Re: 1926 instantaneous water heater leak

The new on demand water heaters are pretty reliable. And Uncle Sam is giving $300 tax credits to instal one. As far as longevity Noritz's copper exchanger is as thick as K copper. But, if you really want to spend a bunch of money you could find a boilermaker/pipefitter/welder to make you a part or parts but you may very likley not get a warrantee or underwritten approval since it is probably no longer an approved device. Selfishly though I would love to see some detail photos of the device I'm fascinated.

Smile Re: 1926 instantaneous water heater leak

I.M. Plummin:

Thank you for the response, I'll check out some of those options (and will take some photos).

jtoakland

Default Re: 1926 instantaneous water heater leak

I SAW ONE!! There is one at the shop I work at in the break room I never noticed that it was an insantanious water heater. But I was earily for a meeting on the 4th and saw the medallons on it and the plates. Really cool and your right it is beautiful and the craftsmanship is amazing every jiont and seem is custom fit tight. Hope you get yours to work again.

Smile Re: 1926 instantaneous water heater leak

I got one in operation since house construction in 1927. I take it apart every year to do a complete cleaning of the coils and cast iron plus flue. Tomorrow Im running to HD to get a 3/8" nipple and ball valve to replace the original hose bib drain on the heater. This way in my maintenance i can drain it to clean out sediment. Anyhow in '66 my granddad replaced the coils since they were leaking. possible you could patch the coils with a little soldiering. A guy i worked with said that the coils would cost $450 to replace with price of copper. Another thing mine was red tagged by gas co. because of not having a safety valve so maybe you would consider that in saving it. Good luck.