+ Reply to Thread

Default Plumbing Precations during vacation,,

I'm going on a two-three week vacation and would like to know the plumbing precautions i need to take before leaving. I live in PA, so any appropriate suggestions are really appreciated.

1. DO I need to turn off the main water valve?
    2. Do I need to Drain water from all the faucets and Toilets and turn on the tap?

Please suggest in detail.

Default Re: Plumbing Precations during vacation,,

Since I travel out of town on a regular basis here's some thoughts.

1. DO I need to turn off the main water valve?
    Whenever leaving the home for an extended period it's the first thing that should be done.

Things like pipes bursting , toilet tanks cracking , water heaters leaking would create quite a mess by leaving the main valve on.

Otherwise having something burst and leaving the main valve left on would leave a continuous flow of water from that item which could end up being hundreds of gallons spilling out all over if not discovered in short order. Aside from a nasty mess you would also have a huge water bill to come home to.

2. Do I need to Drain water from all the faucets and Toilets and turn on the tap?
    After shutting off the main valve flush the toilets to empty the tanks. In the event of the tank breaking .... believe me it does happen .... there won't be much water to make a mess.
    Also ... if you are away from home during the winter there won't be an issue of the water in the tank freezing and damaging the tank and fill valve.

You can open the faucets to drain the lines and allow for expansion of ice in the event the pipes freeze. Start with the faucet located in the lowest part of the home which will drain the majority of the lines because of gravity.

You should consider shutting off and draining the hot water tank as well since you wouldn't want the 40 - 50 gallons or more to leak all over the place.

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush