+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Insulating an older house -- what's the best way?

We are planning to finally insulate the walls and attic space in our 46 year old 3 level house. We plan to blow insulation into the walls from the exterior. For the attic space, we have 2 different recommendations and don't know which makes the most sense. We live in New England and have had problems with ice dams in the past.

One is to install sofit vents (we currently do not have any) all along the roof line and then stuff with insulation. The quote for this is about twice the cost as the second option which is to just insulate the walls and stuff the attic spaces along the roof with high level insulation. The second vendor relates that this is how all new construction is being done.

Any advice??

thanks from wildwoodhome

Default Re: Insulating an older house -- what's the best way?

P2000 is the "Greenest" Product on the market.
    P2000 is the most "Fire Safe" Product on the market.
    P2000 is the most "Energy Efficient" Product on the market.
    P2000 is the cheapest Insulation Product on the market.
    P2000 is the easiest product to install in the market.
    I can't stop using it on my buildings. My renters are paying more to pay less on their energy costs.
    I am curious how others are enjoying their success with the P2000.
    I just built a 5,400 sqft house in El Dorado California and the electricity bill for a family of 6 has been between $70.00 and $90.00 for the last two months and these have the hottest months we have had in a long time.
    My electrician started a fire in the garage and the P2000 actually stopped the fire. I was amazed. I still use the electrician, he accidentally let the concrete polisher plug his grinder into the E-box without the dead guard. They paid for it, so no sweat. The best part was that with the P2000, the lack of flame actually choked the Fire from it's oxygen and the fire died before even ruining anything that a paint job couldn't fix. All they had to do was pay for paint and replace the garage door opener.
    I have 17 houses to build in L.A. Does anyone know who has the P2000 in L.A.?
    Thanks,

P2000 advocate.
    We practice "Green Building" and I think we have finally found our final link.
    Thanks,
    Rarvey

WE DO!!! Sorry it's taken us this long to find you.

We are the master distributors for P2000. A home using our insulation system was tested by Energy Star and received a Home Energy Rating System (HERS) value of 49; the home is documented as the most energy efficient home ever tested in PA, NJ, NY and DE. Here’s a direct link for a summary of tests, certifications, and thermal images for P2000: http://www.p2insulation.com/index.cfm?pageid=6 Email me if you’d like pictures of P2000 installed in roof mock-ups, steel buildings, or under concrete slabs. Please call me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

P2000 is a hybrid insulation system (available as a semi rigid-board or wrap) that is decades ahead of the conventional ideas and products used for insulating building structures. P2000 is made with expanded polystyrene (EPS) core and utilizes a high grade reflective metalized plastic laminate (not foil) on both sides, or on one side and a very durable white woven finished product on the other. P2000 is excellent for use in ceilings, walls, floors, under concrete, and before installing siding or stucco. There is no need for expensive house wrap, or vapor barrier, P2000 is a radiant and convection heat barrier, wind barrier, thermal barrier, bug barrier and can be used as a finished product, just add paint for a beautifully finished interior, or stucco exterior. P2000 complies with national standards for use as an exposed finish for high walls and ceilings. P2000 is much quicker to install than stud & batting system and allows 2 x 4 framing (6" studs are not needed for insulation volume) this saves time, labor, and materials cost.

P2000 eliminates problems that are experienced with some other insulation products: itching, scratching, coughing, allergic reactions, and does not release volatile organic compounds (VOC’s ). Further more P2000 does not lose insulation performance by sagging, settling, compressing, absorbing moisture, or under fail extreme heat or cold conditions. P2000 insulation has been field tested from the areas of Fairbanks, Alaska, at 35 degrees below F to the deserts of the Middle East at 115 degrees F. Intershetler, Inc. (http://www.intershelter.com) found they could easily warm their 500sqft Omnisphere to 72 degrees F when it was -35 degrees F outside with nothing more then a 1,500 watt space heater.

Additional Benefits Include:
    • State and Federal Green Building Tax Breaks and Rebates
    • Extremely sustainable with a 20 Year Warranty
    • 100% recyclable
    • Does not contribute to fire: 15 smoke development, 5 flame spread
    • Can apply for LEED credit in all five categories for Green Building
    • Prevents condensation of moisture and freezing
    • Zero Off-gassing and non-carcinogenic for perfect indoor air quality
    • Highly energy efficient
    • Lightweight (40oz) and Easy to install
    • 100% effective insulation system
    • It has a zero dew point guarantee and is mold/mildew free
    • 170 lbs/sq inch compression rating: Walk on it, drive on it, our product won’t snap.
    • No need for masks when handling
    • Uses the highest grade metallized plastic laminate requiring no air space

Quote Originally Posted by energy22 View Post
    I have 17 houses to build in L.A. Does anyone know who has the P2000 in L.A.?
    Thanks,

P2000 advocate.
    We practice "Green Building" and I think we have finally found our final link.
    Thanks,
    Rarvey

Quote Originally Posted by wildwoodhome View Post
    We are planning to finally insulate the walls and attic space in our 46 year old 3 level house. We plan to blow insulation into the walls from the exterior. For the attic space, we have 2 different recommendations and don't know which makes the most sense. We live in New England and have had problems with ice dams in the past.

One is to install sofit vents (we currently do not have any) all along the roof line and then stuff with insulation. The quote for this is about twice the cost as the second option which is to just insulate the walls and stuff the attic spaces along the roof with high level insulation. The second vendor relates that this is how all new construction is being done.

Any advice??

thanks from wildwoodhome
    you should call Michael Wilson
    Owner of
    MJW DryWall & foam Insulation LLC
    Hampton NH
    Office 603-601-6283
    Cell 603-289-2124

Helping you Build Safer, Healthier, More Efficient Home's & Building's of Tomorrow, Today. We are Green Building!!
    For more information about us and are products & Service's please check out our web site's. WWW.NHFOAM.COM