+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting drywall in garage

I replaced a section of the drywall ceiling that was damaged in my garage. My garage is not heated. After taping/mudding/sanding I began to paint the ceiling using a roller. The new boards painted very well. However, when I tried to paint the older board, the paper stuck to the roller and peeled off in chunks. I tried three different spots on the old board, one near the door, the other two near the wall of the house. All three areas had the same problem of the papaer sticking to the roller and peeling off.

Is there something I can do to seal the board or anything I can try to allow me to paint the old board.

I would appreciate any assistance or suggestions.

Default Re: Painting drywall in garage

Can't say I've ever seen the paper of drywall come off while painting if it looks to be in good shape. My first thought is to use an airless sprayer, but if the paper is that fragile or delaminating the weight of the sprayed on paint may cause it to fail too.

I agree that it seems it needs to be replaced due to damage/humidity. If it can't be painted with a roller without falling apart, it's probably not in too good of shape! -ThinkDwell

Rather than replacing, I would just install drywall over what is there.

Smile Re: Painting drywall in garage

I have come across this one time, and was able to patch the texture on the area and spray with an airless with fine results. The ceiling has held up for a couple years now, but I still am not confident that it would have been better to just replace the drywall.