Hello All,

New TOH forum member and I'm hoping stupid questions are allowed, and that someone can point me in the right direction or offer suggestions.

I'm a new homeowner, and not much of a do-it-yourselfer, so keep that in mind. I bought my funky little bungalow 3 years ago - it was built in 1937 and I love it.

The problem ... it is sweltering in the summertime. I have not been in my attic (I have a trap door in my bedroom ceiling and no way to get up there at this point). I have noted that there are 2 fans (at least that's what I think they are) on the west side of my roof. They're round, and have metal blades ... hope you all know what I'm talking about. I have no idea what they are, what they're supposed to do, how they work, etc. etc.

Someone told me they might be electric ... who knows? If they are, I have no idea where a switch for them might be. I don't really have a specific question .... I'm just wondering if anyone can shed any like on what these things on my roof are supposed to do, because if cooling is in that mix, then they are NOT working! We are having a very hot summer here in Colorado, and my little house is an oven - how can I figure out what, if anything, I can do to make sure these things on my roof are doing what they're supposed to be doing, if indeed, they're supposed to be drawing heat out.

I did call a heating and cooling place, but they said I should try to find a "handyman" to go up there and check it out. Anyone have any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, insight? Before I melt.