+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default To seal or not to seal hardwood floor

Hi,
    I'm having my white oak hardwood floors refinished. How would you recommend they be finished? Every floor guy has a different answer and it's very confusing! Here are my specific questions:
    1. Would you recommend sealing it first? One guy says he uses lacquer sealer, but I've heard that stuff isn't good to use. He recommends one sealer and two coats of oil based poly on top.
    2. How many coats of poly do you recommend? Is it smart to use a third coat? I'd appreciate your advice!. Please respond ASAP because the work is just about to start. Thanks!

Default Re: To seal or not to seal hardwood floor

I always use Old Masters oil based poly and always 3 coats.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

There's no question!! THREE coats always!!
    Be sure the coats go on thin and even. One heavy coat doesn't equal two coats btw...lol. Some people think they do.
    I like oil poly but there are "excellent" water borne poly's out there and soon thats all we're going to be able to use so....
    Hell,,,,I LOVED "moisture cure" poly but that stuff is long been banned. The deadlier the better...LOL...only kidding...honest!!
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Thanks for the replies. Do you use a sealer in addition to the 3 coats of poly? A couple floor guys said 1 sealer, 2 poly and a couple said just 3 coats poly and no sealer. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldhouse View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Do you use a sealer in addition to the 3 coats of poly? A couple floor guys said 1 sealer, 2 poly and a couple said just 3 coats poly and no sealer. Thanks again!
    If you stain the floor...the stain is considered a sealer.
    Depends what you mean by sealer.
    One can use a tung oil finish (sealer) or linseed oil (sealer) or...
    Oh yeh...and "Waterlox" makes a really beautiful finish if you have the patience. thats a tung oil type finish.
    http://www.waterlox.com/
    Last edited by andybuildz; 07-31-2008 at 10:12 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

We are not using a stain- we are keeping it as natural as possible. The floor guy said he uses a lacquer sealer. I know it's very flammable in the liquid state. Is it also a potential problem once it dries?

You recommended 3 coats of poly. Is it okay to use 1 sealer and 3 poly or is that just too many coats?

Or is it better to skip the sealer coat and just use 3 poly?

Thanks for bearing with all my questions- as you can see I'm a novice in this area.