+ Reply to Thread

Default Leaky Waste Pipe

My house is only about 9 years old and the PVC waste pipe from my second floor master bathroom is leaking, and may have been for some time. This pipe travels from the second floor through my first floor kitchen wall into my crawl space. It is in the crawl space where I see the leak. It appears that a small amount of water is traveling down the outside of the pipe and drips onto the crawl space floor. The toilet, garden tub, shower and sinks apparently all feed into the same pipe as they all appear to contribute to the leak. There is no apparent leak if I observe the ceiling from the first floor. Do you think the leak is most likely from a 90 degree fitting on the second floor or could it be somewhere in the vertical pipe traveling through the first floor wall? The pipe travels behind kitchen cabinets and countertop so it is not an ideal place to start cutting into the drywall. Any thoughts on how to approach all of this.

Default Re: Leaky Waste Pipe

here my crazy idea. i think it is condensation. it is the summer time. the tempeture and the water is different than what is the surronding temp. and it is like a glass of cold water sitting on the kitchen counter.

now just as easily as i say that, it might be one of the fitting along the pipe as well. there are 2 ways to find it. one with smoke and the other with water. and since the sewaage line has been in operation i really don't know which i would suggest. with water you will need to plug up below the leak and then all the fixutres all the way to roof. But, since everthing is behind a wall already, i really don't suggest that. What are you going to do if the leak is behind your kitchen cabniets? are you willing to remove the cabniets and open up the wall to fix a drip?
    Process of elimination. Good luck.

i sure hope he is!!!do you realize the ramifications of mold"??,sry msfitter the more i read your so called "help" the more it scares me,you really havnt a clue,plumbers protect the health of the public,you seem more about saving a dime,im not sure if your a plumber or not,my guess is that your not,if you are you should try something else

Yopu could use food dye and fill up everything and stain the water with it pretty heavily. Let everything drain and observe the piping you may have to get close but you'll see if the problem is a leak or condensation. Trace the leak to the .highest appearance of stained water and you'll find the leak. If you have to cut a wall the you have to cut a wall. but I don't fix walls. LOL You'll probably have to actually touch the pipes to find the leak if it isn't condensation. If it is condensation you can insulate with some presplit self sealing pipe insulation.

just fyi,if you do find the leak to be behind your kitchen cabinets it is possible to open up the outside of the house to get at the stack,ive done this before w/a cracked cast ir******,i was able to renew the stack into the basement,this house had clapboards so it made cutting and reinstalling abit easier,not sure wut u have but is prolly cheaper then tearing out cabinets....an option to keep in mind is all..gl

Just to let you know, I found the leak. There was a small hole, probably a nail hole, at the bottom of the pipe just before it went into the crawl space. Fortunately, an easy fix.

yay easy