+ Reply to Thread

Default Tiling a Bathroom Old Counter

Suspect this has been asked/answered several times but my search didn't find anything useful.

Bathroom counter (approx 15 years old) is a laminate with a rounded top,front edge. Is it recommended to use a cement 'board' over the counter and tile on that? The cement 'board' would be cut to exactly cover the old counter (with cutouts for the sinks). Or would just roughing the old counter be sufficient?
    The problem (as I see it) is that with the front, top edge slightly raised ( to reduce water spillage over the edge) if tile is set directly over that there won't be a solid foundation and over time the tile will crack.

Default Re: Tiling a Bathroom Old Counter

Quote Originally Posted by RAPdiy911 View Post
    Suspect this has been asked/answered several times but my search didn't find anything useful.

Bathroom counter (approx 15 years old) is a laminate with a rounded top,front edge. Is it recommended to use a cement 'board' over the counter and tile on that? The cement 'board' would be cut to exactly cover the old counter (with cutouts for the sinks). Or would just roughing the old counter be sufficient?
    The problem (as I see it) is that with the front, top edge slightly raised ( to reduce water spillage over the edge) if tile is set directly over that there won't be a solid foundation and over time the tile will crack.
    You could use a leveling compound first or use 1/4" wonderboard thinset and screwed into the old counter. Stop the Wonderboard right before the hump in the front bulllnose so it's just about level with the front. Thinset over the whole shabang then. USe a good thinset like Flexibond.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Quote Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
    You could use a leveling compound first or use 1/4" wonderboard thinset and screwed into the old counter. Stop the Wonderboard right before the hump in the front bulllnose so it's just about level with the front. Thinset over the whole shabang then. USe a good thinset like Flexibond.
    Thank you Andybuildz.

Brings up two questions:

Was in Home Depot - they had a product called Hardibacker .. is that basically the same as Wonderboard?

Would it be better to cut the 'wonderboard' to be even with the front of the counter and thin the front edge (with coarse sandpaper?) to compensate for the 'bullnose'? Wouldn't that make a nice square front corner (the bullnose 'edge' is rounded now and it seems like tiling would be difficult).

Thanks again

I believe (I think) the front edge may be higher??? than the rest of the counter which was why I suggested coming up "to" the front hump thinking that would make it pretty level and you could tile over the front edge flush to the front with thinset....then thinset over the face with your edge tiles. A good thinset will easily stick to any formica that's still exposed. the backerboard will basically just act as shim material taking you even with the hump....and yeh...you can use Hardi too. Either or.

Once you lay your top tiles to come up to the face of the bullnose trowel accross the front any thinset that oozes out to create your clean front edge line. Let that dry and set your front edges in more mud.
    Use a good thinset...not the cheaper stuff. One bag goes a long way so...
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

I just saw your post and think this may be an easy solution. There is a new product from Tavy and it is sold at Lowes. It consists of a roll of fiberglass paper and adhesive. It is designed to be used on almost any surface, including laminate, vinyl or even beadboard. Once the paper is down, you spread your cement/mortar and then lay your tile. Here's a URL to see a video showing how it's done - they even show how to build up the edge for your problem. Hope this helps.
    http://www.ronhazelton.com/howto/til...countertop.htm