+ Reply to Thread

Default Drywall over plaster is cracking or seperating

About 9 years ago (the previous owners) installed drywall over the plaster throughout the whole house. The house was built in 1910 and has the really nice trim throughout (unfortunately painted). Here's the problem....there are cracks in almost all the walls where the drywall meets the trim. It's like the drywall has seperated from the trim (moldings). Some of the cracks are very big like 1/2 inch thick. How do we repair this? Do we use calk or drywall tape and mud? I've attached pics. Sorry I don't know how to make them smaller.

Default Re: Drywall over plaster is cracking or seperating

I would prefill the gaps with "hot mud" powdered sandable joint compound. Then put mesh tape over it to the edge of the trim. Three coats of joint compound or the hot mud sand prime paint and done. Hope this helps

Thank you. We've got a lot of work to do!

Nothing you do is going to be permanent. The problem lies with the wood trim, it expands and contract with seasonal changes.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

So far, everything done in this house was a shortcut. Unfortunately we do not have the funds to correctly fix everything. Even if we took out a home improvement loan, yes the value of the house would go up, but this is Detroit and we'd never get our money back out of the house. The people that can afford an expensive house don't want to live around here!

Trust me....I am ready to gut the house...but my husband doesn't want to do the work.