+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Install Deck Over Existing Concete Patio

I was planning on installing a deck over my existing concrete patio. The do it yourself books I picked up did not cover this.

When installing a deck should the old concrete patio be removed?

Should the deck be build over the existing patio? No removing of the old concrete.

Deck Height would be from 6-8" up to about 12".

Default Re: Install Deck Over Existing Concete Patio

If you live in a climate where the ground freezes, I would cut through the patio and install concrete piers down to the minimum depth recommended for your area. The reason is that in cold climates, the concrete slab will move slightly through the freeze/thaw cycle which would move your deck up/down every year. Over time, it may cause issues. Leaving the remainder of the concrete around the piers wouldn't hurt and it would keep the weeds from growing through.

Default Re: Install Deck Over Existing Concete Patio

You will likely want to (perhaps have to) put in concrete piers even in a warm climate. The deck posts will concentrate their loads over very little footprints (probably 4x4 or 6x6 posts). That would create a lot of pressure in those areas. Your concrete patio probably wasn’t built for that kind of concentrated load. Talk with your building inspector and see what he/she says.