Default A/C pipe insulation

Hi! I do not know the proper name for any of the A/C parts, so please forgive me in advance. Our A/C does not seem to be cooling very well after it's been running a while. When I went outside to check on it, I noticed that there is ice forming on the pipe that goes from the unit to the inside of the house. This pipe leaves the unit from the bottom corner in back and travels up the side of the house through a hole to the inside. There was originally some black insulating material wrapped around the pipe and secured with plastic ties. Some of this material has come off (close to where the pipe leaves the unit and at the curve where the pipe begins to go up the wall.) The icy parts of the pipe are where the insulating material is missing. Could this ice be the cause of the cooling problem and is the missing insulating material causing the ice to form? We have been leaving the unit off a while each time we notice the ice and it seems to cool better after that. Should we try to replace the material first before calling for help? Thanks!

Default Re: A/C pipe insulation

Thanks for the reply! Yes, there is certainly reduced air! Is this an expensive thing (to have it charged)? Two more questions...does it hurt the unit to run until we get a repairman here and do we need to replace the missing insulating wrap? Thanks!

Sorry! I didn't see the rest of your reply until after I sent the last message. Okay, we'll replace the wrap. Thanks!

Just curious...
    Are the coils in the outside unit or are they in our attic where the fan/blower is? We had to have the fan replaced last summer. Thanks!

If you have another minute... It would be great to understand a little of this so when the A/C man arrives I won't be such an easy case for "You need a whole new unit, ma'am." when it's probably just the coolant!
    Okay, so the outside compressor is trying to circulate the coolant to the inside. (The coolant they will add will be added to the outside unit, right?) Which then goes through the coils and the blower blows air over the coils and through the house to cool it. How does this lack of coolant make the pipe freeze up on the outside by the compressor? It sounds like the coils on the inside are icing up along with the pipe from the outside unit?
    Thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by Yar321; 07-30-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks for the info, DB! The A/C guy came this morning and said it was exactly the same thing you said. He fixed it in just a few minutes.

what was the answer to the problem? the answers do not appear to be published. I have the same problem and I am curious what the solution was

Your suction line (larger of the two copper lines) should be completely insulated. Sounds like your Evap coil is frozen, if it is shut the unit down and wait for it to thaw.

1.Check your air filter and see if it's plugged with dirt
    2.It could be your Ref. charge which means a possible leak, this should be fixed or you will have the same problem again.
    3.Have you moved any Furniture lately? Blocked Supply or Returns will give you less air flow and can cause an Evap to freeze at the Extreme, not common but has happened. Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by Sten; 09-25-2009 at 08:16 AM.