+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Air Admittance Valves

I think in the end it always will come down to the first consideration of the job-MONEY. Plain and Simple. If i told you a job would be $500 for a tie in w/ Studor or $2500 with a wall/ceiling penetration and stack tie in. What do you think the customer is going to go for. And the fact that is may be a 6 hour job versus a 20 hour job.

Studor Vents or AAV are safe. They are just "different"
    Process of elimination. Good luck.

well perhaps you could tell the customer naww doesnt have to be vented just think of the money you saved him..lmao

also jack,with all do respect,these devices are not new.they have been around for well over 20yrs,do you think these devices will work as designed 50yrs later??i think not

I would like to direct everyones attention to the original post.

Basement installation and vent stack were mentioned. If there was a vent stack then it would be well accessable in the basement without an additional penetration.

However if its approved then it is okay. Whether it works in 50+ years is irrelavent. If it failed it would be an easy enough repair and a vent could fail just the same. The $ vs $$$ is always the bottom line. 9 in 10 of my customers always want the best but dont want to pay it .

Question Re: Air Admittance Valves

So in the end, are AAV's worth it?

A so called "automatic vent" is legal in many areas. However being constructed of a spring and rubber/ plastic disks they are liable to failure. If the household that it is installed in has no idea how it works then this forum is clogged with "funny odor under sink with black thingy". Do it right if possible, connect to a vent stack or future vent in basement that would be best. As far as pex is concerned have you really ever looked at a 1/2" fitting really it is more like 1/4". Pex maybe easier to install,and cheaper with a branch method, but not better than copper.

Shaun

There is a very good reason to use air admittance valves besides saving money. They can eliminate the need for building envelope penetrations that are a source of heat loss. Since we should all be moving toward tighter, more energy efficient construction, we should be thankful for this appropriate technology rather than pan it!

John