+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Air Admittance Valves

I had a laundry sink installed in my basement. Instead of venting the sink to the vent stack the plumber put an Air Admittance Valve near the sink. Is there any danger of noxious gases being released into my house?

Default Re: Air Admittance Valves

No. The following is from the Studor Valve web site-
    - The purpose of vents is to allow air to enter the plumbing drainage waste and vent system and equalize pressure when water drains out of the system maintaining the integrity of the water trap that prevents sewer gases from entering the building through fixture drains.

- When a plumbing fixture is operated, negative pressure causes the AAV to open, allowing air to enter and equalize the pressure in the system. When the flow stops, gravity closes the valve preventing sewer gas from escaping through the valve into the building.

Jack

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

these type of vents are illegal in MA except where permitted by the local plumbing inspector.....that is not likely

Quote Originally Posted by murphmgh View Post
    these type of vents are illegal in MA except where permitted by the local plumbing inspector.....that is not likely

The have been installed on a couple of the TOH projects.
    Jack

check the code book,the fact that they were used in toh does not make them legal,i think ive seen them use saddle valves before as well.....hacks

I believe they had an inspector on the show that said they are approved in limited circumstances. Besides we don't know what state AKB is in and it is approved in other states.
    Jack

i agree that other states allow such products to be used and that MA. has a rather stringent plumbing code,i missed the show you are refering too,just why was it that a proper vent could not be found or ran??

Quote Originally Posted by murphmgh View Post
    The same applies here as well.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I aggree with murphmgh its a slappy jacklegged cheaters device. There was a better way. However while his plummin in my opinion is sorry if it was approved by the official then its legal. And the ICC (International Construction Code) And SBCCI another construcion code writer/publisher list them as approved devices as long as they are not concealed. An appropriately sized vent would have been a better way to go just more work and material and he has no excuse since it sound as though a tie in was accesable. So hes still a hack LOL. Saddle valves and all

They are fairly new devices and they have been approved in at least several state building codes. They do have to be installed according the manufacturers standards. They cut material and labor costs. I can remember not that long ago when pliuumbers made the same comments about PVC and PEX.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 08-02-2008 at 04:09 PM.