+ Reply to Thread

Question replacing trim around door

We replaced our front door with a pre-hung door. As we were taking out the old doorway we had to take down the old interior trim. We couldn't save enough of it to reuse it. Now we need to replace it and I don't know what to do to get the service ready to receive the new trim. The surface is unpainted and drywall is showing. Some of the drywall is worn out and has a jagged edge in places. The paint at the edge of were the old trim was is pealing and it's not smooth. What do I need to do to make it right? Thanks
    Last edited by stoutgart; 07-29-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Default Re: replacing trim around door

One of the easiest things to do if you don't want to rework the drywall edge is to make you casing thicker and rabbit the edge to cover the edge of the drywall.
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rabitted trim.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	1405  
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Sounds like all you need to do is clean up the edge and run some joint compound around the door to "feather" the edge. You only need to do this where the trim will not cover.

Just remove any peeling paint (I would lightly score around the door with a utility knife to keep the paint from peeling too far back.) You will also need to remove any loose paper on the drywall that the trim will not cover over. Again, take a utility knife and lightly score the paper so it does not tear back too far.

Next, take some joint compound and fill in the imperfections. If you get a little too much on the area, don't be too concerned about it, just means more sanding. When all the bad spots are filled, sand the compound to make it even with the old drywall. You should be able to prime and paint. Don't skip priming the joint compound, two layers of paint will not do the same thing. Now you should be able to install your new trim, caulk(if painting the new trim), and prime/paint.

Also, is the jamb on the new door flush with the face on the drywall? If not, you will have to add an extension jamb to bring the new jamb out to the surface of the old wall. Just a matter of ripping 1x material to bring the surfaces even. This way your trim will fit properly. I try to always do any extensions on the exterior of the door so I don't have the strike on the latch rubbing the new jamb and trim.

Hope this helps. If anything is not clear, just ask.

thanks for the advice. It's all really helpful. The drywall sticks up around the casing of the door. What to I do to make it equal? What are furring strips, how do I get them, and how should I attach them? Thanks

You can get them at any lumber yard or big box store. They are nothing but 1 X 3's or 1 X 4's. You nail on the door frame as spacers to raise the casing.

Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rabitted trim.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	1420  

what kind of nails and what size should I use

I would use finishing nails and wood gluethe furring strip to the door frame but not to the casing. Sand smooth and paint.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 07-30-2008 at 11:28 PM.

how should I attach the trim

With finishing nails.
    Jack