+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Sealing gap between floor & baseboard

I removed some carpeting in my house and refinished the underlying hardwood floors. Before installing new base shoe, I want to know whether I should seal the fairly large gap that exists between the floor and the baseboard to cut heat loss. This gap gets up to 1/2" in height in some places and leads directly behind the plaster walls.

Is sealing this gap appropriate, or will it potentially trap moisture in the walls?

Default Re: Sealing gap between floor & baseboard

Yes, this is in an older house (1922) with plaster walls. There is a basement, and I need to replace the base shoe on both the main floor and the second story. The house is in Seattle, so wet weather is extremely likely. The siding is currently asbestos tile and seems to be in pretty good shape. I believe that it was applied directly over the old wood siding (I believe cedar, but I'm not certain about that). But, I can't vouch for how good the moisture barrier is on the exterior of the house.

The basement is generally dry, so I'm not too worried about moisture coming up through the basement.

Mike