+ Reply to Thread

Default Epoxy coating in Garage

I am sorry if this is not the proper place to post this question. I want to apply an epoxy coating to my garage floor. My concern is that when I built my house in 2000 I applied two coats of concrete sealer to the floor.

How do I get this sealer off the floor so I can be assured that the epoxy solution will stick?

Thx.

Default Re: Epoxy coating in Garage

I hate to answer a question with a question, but why do you want an epoxy coating? The reason I ask is that most people who have had epoxy coatings put on their garage floors don't realize that they wear off in just a few years. Just normal traffic from driving the car in and out, plus foot traffic is enough to wear through the coating and it really starts to looks bad and/or becomes (another) maintenance problem - in my opinion anything that requires me to do more maintenance is not what I would want - I'm always looking for ways to reduce the amount of work I have to do around the house and it woukld seem to me that a clear sealer applied to the concrete is the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by libcarp View Post
    I hate to answer a question with a question, but why do you want an epoxy coating? The reason I ask is that most people who have had epoxy coatings put on their garage floors don't realize that they wear off in just a few years. Just normal traffic from driving the car in and out, plus foot traffic is enough to wear through the coating and it really starts to looks bad and/or becomes (another) maintenance problem - in my opinion anything that requires me to do more maintenance is not what I would want - I'm always looking for ways to reduce the amount of work I have to do around the house and it woukld seem to me that a clear sealer applied to the concrete is the only way to go.
    Amen: I agree that epoxy coatings on concrete floors is NOT the way to go. They look nice upon completion and render a warm fuzzy feeling to the wife. BUT, when chipping delaminating wear through etc. set in you will "regret in retrospect". The clear coating both seals and can be reapplied without too much sweat.

I saw the This Old House show where an epoxy coating was applied to a cruddy looking garage floor and it looked great after it was applied. So I thought I would give it a try, but from what you are saying I need to go in another direction. I need to give my floor a make over, so what do you suggest??