+ Reply to Thread

Question Leveling a floor-old porch now a kitchen

Just bought a 1914 Arts and Crafts home and the previous owners converted the porch into a kitchen. The floor is painted pine tongue/groove and still grades away from the house at approx. 5" over a 10' span. The current cabinets were custom cut to address this problem. I am going to remodel the kitchen and am wondering about the best way to level/strengthen this type of floor to avoid having to custom cut the new cabinets and to be able to use standard appliances without having to shim them a ton. Any thoughts? Thanks, Nathan

Default Re: Leveling a floor-old porch now a kitchen

My guess is the floor joists are running perpendicular to the grade. If so, you can pull a level line and install 2 X spacers cut to the proper thickness on top of the joists before you install a sub-floor or flooring. If the joists are running the same direction as the grade you can do the same thing except you will have to cut the 2X material in a wedge shape to get a level nailing surface or nail the leveled 2 X on the side of the existing joists.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 07-29-2008 at 12:45 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Question Re: Leveling a floor-old porch now a kitchen

Thanks. That's great info.One more question:
    The space is about 10'x20' and the flooring extends to the exterior by about an inch (being a porch, the exterior wall was set upon the flooring) Do you suggest that I remove the floor all the way to the joists? (if so what should I do about the flooring that runs beneath the exterior wall?) Or can I cut and lay 2X over the tongue and groove? and then the new subfloor over that...? Thanks for your input.

Nathan

You can cut the flooring at the walls and remove it and add blocking to suport the new subfloor, you can just shim new subfloor on top of existing floor, or you can tear the whole thing down and start anew.. The easiest would be to shim the new subfloor.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for your help.

Nathan