+ Reply to Thread

Default Help with deck details

Hi,

I'm beginning the process of replacing the front porch on our 1920's bungalow. The existing front porch runs 26' along the entire front of the house and is 7' wide. The deck is about 24" off the ground. When they built the porch, they used timbers setting on 2x12 boards directly on the soil as support. They settled over time causing the porch floor and roof to settle.

Anyway, I'm installing 4 piers along the length of the house and using a double 2x8 as a deck beam to span between the piers. I understand how to frame the deck, but I also need to support the roof beam that supports the rafters. What is the best way to extend the posts through the deck up to the roof beam? I was going to notch my 6x6 posts 3" for the deck beam. Should I run the deck boards over top then attach a 4x4 on top of the deck to extend to the roof? Can I run a 4x4 from my pier all the way up to my roof beam and "hang" the deck beam off the posts? Is their a simple connector from the Simpson that would address this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Default Re: Help with deck details

Generally you install the column on top of the porch, that way if you ever have to replace one you don't have to disassemble the porch and if you have to replace the deck you only have to jack the roof slightly to remove the columns.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb