+ Reply to Thread

Question Old Southern Bungalow

I have been searching and searching on the original paint techniques used in the 1910's to 1930's to try to restore the house I am living in to its original beauty. I live in a Bungalow that I am assuming was built between 1925 and 1930. I am guessing at these dates due to the paper stuck to the bottoms of all my kitchen drawers and the date on them being from 1929. There is a lot that needs to be done that is basic knowledge, like stripping all the wood trims to their orriginal beauty(hopefully) but I cannot find any pictures of interior paint ideas for my house style, all I can find is what the outside should look like. We are renting and the landlord said we can have at it to try to restore it, a really great hobby of mine! If you have any ideas or can lead me in the right dirrection I would greatly appriciate it.

Default Re: Old Southern Bungalow

There are lots of magazines, books and websites with pics of bungalows. www.architecture.about.com, www.oldhousejournal.com, www.americanbungalow.com, American Bungalow magazine, TOH magazine, Old House Journal magazine and lots of books at the library. They're real easy to find. Don't forget to walk around your neighborhood and get to know your neighbors. You'll get lots of ivitations to check out the interiors.

As for paint colors, these same sources are good. And don't forget the color brochures from all the major paint companies. They all have historic house themes: Early America, Painted Lady, Arts and Crafts, etc. The colors are nicely grouped together in pleasing combinations to help with mixing and matching.

Default Re: Old Southern Bungalow

Try this http://valsparatlowes.com/project-id..._cra_bed3.html On the right hand side where it says "All Styles and Collections" click on the down arrow, when the window opens pick "Craftsman".
    When you do searches search for Craftsman Style as well as bungalow.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb