+ Reply to Thread

Default Brrr-hot water delivery takes too long

Visiting my daughter and son-in-law in Austin---their upstairs shower needs several long minutes for the hot water to come up. What is better, faster, cheaper? I was going to spring for installation of one of those $300 On Demand thingies at Home Depot, but my own plumber says it is only good for six (6) gallons.I thought that the devices might have to be installed to each site,kitchen and bathrooms. I want them for my home too. Had no idea that the thing is limited to six gallons. It could work if the first 6 gallons were heated onsite with this device---until the regular long run from the hot water heater finally made its arrival. Any solutions?

Default Re: Brrr-hot water delivery takes too long

Quote Originally Posted by Starfaced View Post
    Visiting my daughter and son-in-law in Austin---their upstairs shower needs several long minutes for the hot water to come up. What is better, faster, cheaper? I was going to spring for installation of one of those $300 On Demand thingies at Home Depot, but my own plumber says it is only good for six (6) gallons.I thought that the devices might have to be installed to each site,kitchen and bathrooms. I want them for my home too. Had no idea that the thing is limited to six gallons. It could work if the first 6 gallons were heated onsite with this device---until the regular long run from the hot water heater finally made its arrival. Any solutions?
    Sounds like you or your plumber have confused an on-demand, or tankless heater with a small tank-type WH.

There are other ways of dealing with this problem, but it sounds like the best solution is the small tank-type WH.

A tankless heater of the small kind that uses just 110-volt power will not heat the flow of water needed for a shower. That kind is good only for hand washing. Tankless heaters that would handle a shower are expensive and require either a huge electric service, or, if they are gas (most common), they are expensive and require expensive installation.

A small tank-type WH, say 6-gal capacity, would likely meet your needs if you can install it near the shower. They run on 110-volt power, and need a 20-amp circuit.

You would tie it, not into the cold water, but into the hot line, so that the shower would draw from the tank; the tank would fill with the chilled water that normally you run down the drain as you wait for the hot water to arrive. That volume of chilled water mixes in the 6-gal reservoir of hot water as you shower so that you don't shower with cool water.

You would experience a small change in water temperature as the tank cools slightly due to being filled initially by cooled water, but as the shower continues to flow, the temperature will stabilize.

This is probalbly the "best, fastest, cheapest" way to deal with the problem at this point.

Or you could get e circulating pump that brings hot water to the fixture. It works with the existing water heater.
    http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/products...nt_category=59

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Or you could get e circulating pump that brings hot water to the fixture. It works with the existing water heater.
    http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/products...nt_category=59
    Are you thinking of the Grundfos Comfort System? This is the only re-circulating setup I know of that would not require plumbing in an extra re-circ line to the far bathroom.

Any idea what they cost?

It's the D'Mand system by Taco. It can be done with no extra piping other than the connection and electricity. here is a commercial site where you can buy it. $367 for basic setup
    http://www.gothotwater.com/D'MAND/Products/S-50.asp

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    It's the D'Mand system by Taco. It can be done with no extra piping other than the connection and electricity. here is a commercial site where you can buy it. $367 for basic setup
    http://www.gothotwater.com/D'MAND/Products/S-50.asp
    That's new to me.

If I understand correctly, you have to activate the flow by pushing a button? If so, it seems you would still have to wait for the hot water to arrive from the WH?

The Grundfos is controlled by a timer at the pump near the WH, and by a thermostatically controlled bypass valve at the other end, usually under the sink. BTW, I don't sell Grundfos; I've just seen them a couple times, and it looked like a slick solution. I have no idea of the price.

If you look at the site you'll see that it can also be activated by an occupancy sensor. Rather than wasting hot water on a regular basis it only supplies hot water when you need it. It also shuts off when the water is hot. If you activate the pump manually when you walk in to do your business or it activates by sensor I think the water should be hot by the time you want to wash your hands. I don't sell them either.