+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wrap Around Porch from Existing - How To Guilde?

Hello everybody!

We are in the process of slowly remodeling our 1900 farmhouse, and doing all the work ourselves. Meaning my husband, kids and I doing all the planning and gruntwork. It has been an interesting few years, to say the least.

Yesterday we decided to continue our porch around from the front, to wrap around the side, to the side doorway. We've wanted to do this later after the inside was finished, but decided to go ahead and start while we had the siding off to install new triple windows in the dining area.

My question is, can anyone recommend a good how-to guide on how to frame the rafters? I understand that it totally depends on measurements, and roof style you're going for. We are planing on a simple squared off porch, but may end up deciding to do a flat roof to extend the deck off the master bedroom upstairs.

Any resource suggestions? There's not much I've found on the net. A book or website with different framing styles would be wonderful.

I've attached pictures of the house. Here's a link to more pictures, in case it helps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mindyhe...7606404864707/

EDIT TO ADD: Sorry for the misspelling of the thread title. I would change it if I could.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2893.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	1392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2916.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	1393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2375.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	1394  
    Last edited by mindyHere; 07-28-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Our Remodel Pictures: Hidden Content

Default Re: Wrap Around Porch from Existing - How To Guilde?

Just bought a book on roof framing from Lowe's that has a little information on what to do. So that is a start.

Decided to do a wrap around with a second-story balcony. I may post pictures as we go so that you can:

a) Laugh and tell us what fools we are to do it this way, or do it that way

or

b) Maybe help someone else thinking of doing the same, as we didn't get any bites or suggestions here.

=D

Edit to add: The name of the book that is pretty helpful is: Ultimate Guide to House Framing - Plan, Design, Build.
    Last edited by mindyHere; 08-02-2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added name of book.

Thats a very simple framing project so I'd think any book on deck and porch construction should suffice....enough that you should be able to elborate. Most construction is common sense once you get past the structural codes of your particular project ie:beam sizing, railing spacing, flashing,footings/piers...etc.
    Get started by following the same floor joist sizes that are there now then come back and ask more questions with pictires. Be sure to pay attention to the flashing and attachment details where you adjoin your existing house!!
    Nice house btw. I have a similar porch (two story) that I did on my own crib that you can see as one of the last pic in my BLOG below. Not too many pic of the construction there unfortunatly (the rear porch) but one halfway complete...the completed pic youcan probably see in the section that shows the house for sale (the virtual tour)
    Last edited by andybuildz; 08-02-2008 at 03:53 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

We tore off the front porch and deck today, so there's not walking through the front door anymore.

We've decided to go 8ft out from the house. The rebuilt porch that was on (until today) was 5 1/2 ft, so we'll gain a few feet, which will be nice.

Sides will be 22 and 28 ft long.

The book I mentioned above is great. It's got a nifty joist span grid to help figure out how far you can go depending on the grade/species of lumber, and the measurements. Looks like HB is thinking 2x8 at 24" oc to keep costs down.

Is there a big difference between 2x8 and 2x10s? I'm wondering how spongy that will feel, and if it will take longevity from the life of the porch.

Posting a picture without the porch. We're one step further.

Name:	DSCF2956.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	1468  

Quote Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
    ...the completed pic you can probably see in the section that shows the house for sale (the virtual tour)
    GREAT job on the house! Love the porch. Looks like what we want, columns and all. If they are square columns, that is. Couldn't tell for sure. Thanks for the tips.

Check the price differences from 2x8-10. It's very little. 2x8's on 8' is fine. Naturally 2x10's ARE more solid.
    Also depends what you use for the surface in how it's going to feel.
    I used 5/4" mahogany t&g. Feels solid as a rock. I also went with 2x10's on about 8' spans. After "code" it becomes a personal preference and I tend to overbuild certain things.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Quote Originally Posted by mindyHere View Post
    GREAT job on the house! Love the porch. Looks like what we want, columns and all. If they are square columns, that is. Couldn't tell for sure. Thanks for the tips.
    Thanks. Yes. the columns I built are square. You'll save a bundle if you build them yourself!!

Looks like the porch you ripped down had 2x12's fj's?

Name:	porch rear.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	1470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porch rear 1.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	1471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	just about finished.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	1472  
    Last edited by andybuildz; 08-02-2008 at 11:16 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Actually - they were 2x8. They nailed up 2x12 around the sides. But it really was a solid porch. Flooring was just planks.

We're going to build our columns too. Not sure what we're going to use for flooring up top yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mindyHere View Post
    The book I mentioned above is great. It's got a nifty joist span grid to help figure out how far you can go depending on the grade/species of lumber, and the measurements. Looks like HB is thinking 2x8 at 24" oc to keep costs down.
    Hmmmm. Not so sure I'd recommend that...if you're talking about putting the floor joists on 24" centers. I fear you'll live to regret it.

Also, if you should ever use a composite decking material for the flooring material...much of that needs to have the joists on 12" centers. Just a thought.

Another thought - Are you familiar with the known problems concerning metal to wood connections/contact... if using ACQ treated joists/lumber? No common galvy fasteners and/or hardware allowed. Big time corrosion problems. Best choice is to use stainless steel joist hangers/hardware and SS fasteners...although there are triple-galvy hangers and nails sold for this application that are "supposed" to be okay. I have seen evidence to the contrary. SS for me. (Also...no aluminum or galvy flashings in direct contact. Copper is best, lead works, or vinyl.)
    Last edited by goldhiller; 08-03-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Default Re: Wrap Around Porch from Existing - How To Guide?

HB isn't doing 24" joists - he said he had a moment of weakness to save some money, but has wised up and changed his mind.

****hiller - Thanks for the tips on the galvanized w/ ACQ.

Price of standard vert grain flooring in different lengths, for top and bottom - $2500. GULP!

Any advise on anything else? What have any of you out there used for decking?

Also, how do you seal the top deck area to keep leaks out?