+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Knockdown on walls

new on here and this is my first post. We are wanting to do some walls in a bathroom of an 1860 house we purchased last summer.Looking to use a method called knockdon. Ihave no experience with this and have done a search for it on here,but haven't found what I'm looking for. How soupy should the mud be when I put in in the hopper gun? How long before I go back and use knife to knock it down? Any ideas would be greatly appreciatd. Thanks in advance

Default Re: Knockdown on walls

The consistency should be similar to that of pancake batter You want it just runny enough to flow through the sprayer, yet hold it's shape when it hits the wall. You can play with the consistency until you get the desired pattern you're looking for.

You will spray the texture and let it set for a bit to "tack off", that way when you run the drywall knife over the top of it to knock it down (hence the name knock-down texture ) the knife rides over the ridges without smearing and making a mess of things.

The nice thing is if you screw it up, you can remove the texture while it's wet and redo it.

Another note, you can either use dry mixed texture or thin down drywall topping compound with a little water. Topping compound is cheaper and more forgiving, but takes longer to set/dry before you can knock it down. Dry mixed texture dries faster and can be knocked down sooner, but getting the consistency right is more difficult and mixing is a pain without a drill and mixing wand. I recommend topping compound, it's just easier all the way around.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

use the pre mix (bucket mud) don't use the bag or powder mix, that isn't what it is for. also very important when setting up your air compressor make sure your pressure is set very low. the lower the setting the larger the spatters. depending on the compressor you will need to play with it some on a scrap piece of rock to get it right. with the compressors that are made for spraying it is around 12 psi. though with other compressors I have used as high as 28 psi. so it may take some playing to get it just right.spend the money and get a knock down knife from lowes or home depot its worth it they don't cost much and will leave a better look. and if you ocasionally leave a mark from the edge of the knive don't fret you can go back after it is dry and before you paint with a piece of sand paper and with one or two wipes, you can make that mark disappear.

Thank you this has been very helpful.I saw 3 sprayers at a box store.One was a Wagoner...any good? What brand do you guys reccomend for easy use?

Does Wagner even make a texture sprayer? There's a big difference between a paint sprayer and a texture sprayer. You can buy manual ones such as the Homax or an air compressor style such as the ****blatt, or you can get an all-in-one unit. For your purposes I'd recommend renting.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!