+ Reply to Thread

Default Drywall Return vs regular casement for Windows

We're batting around the idea of just using drywall return around the windows with a wood sill and trim at the bottom. Maybe do a rounded edge instead of a 90 (but 90 would be easier if we didn't like the look and wanted to add trim at a later date). What are others thoughts on this? I've seen it done and it looks pretty good.

Default Re: Drywall Return vs regular casement for Windows

A drywall wrap and wood sill/stool is the norm, and IMHO, the better way than a full drywall wrap. Wood is nice, and all, but it takes a beating in and around a window, even when painted, so it's more maintenance than a drywall wrap. If your windows are prone to sweat, make sure your sills are wood and not MDF, the MDF isn't going to hold up, particularly in high moisture areas such as a kitchen or bath.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You should do what you like. If your house needs the detail, then go with wood casing. Drywall returns tend to produce a more comtemporary and minimalist appearance. Wood casing is more traditional and gives some visual stimulation. I don't think casing is harder to maintain, myself. Either material needs to be occasionally cleaned and eventually painted.

Our 70's vintage house has all drywall returns, windows & doors; & we like them.
    No easier or more difficult than wood to maintain, but harder to install, as your drywall has to be perfect around the door/window.
    Obviously the edge bead is available at Home Depot, etc.

I'm repeating the effect outside as I replace all of the beat fiberboard siding with Hardee board, no "trim" at all.

Lee

Smile Re: Drywall Return vs regular casement for Windows

This was really helpful - thanks for the tips.

Val
    www.expressionsinwood.biz
    Last edited by val; 07-31-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: spelling