+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to remove Acorn window screens

Hi all, My husband built a contemporary home in 1986 and installed Acorn windows and screens. The windows slide side to side and the fibrglass screens are now all tattered. I have replaced screens in frames many times before but for the life of me, I can't get these screens out of the window frames. The window channel extends to the bottom on both sides so there is no room to slide out from the bottom. I can find no hinged type channel on any side that can be pulled out to get the screen out. I have researched Acorn on the internet and it seems that they are out of business. Does anyone have any idea how to get the screens out so I can re-screen them? Thanks

Default Re: How to remove Acorn window screens

There are probably leafs prings on the side of the screen. Try pusing the screen toward the channel and this should give you neough room to get the screen out. (Check both sides)

Side springs are usually found on up-and-down sashes. The springs for your side-to-side sashes will probably be found on the top and bottom. Have you tried lifting the screen to raise the bottom above the track? Or pushing down?

Thanks for your replies. There are little wing tighteners that tighten the screen to the channels. I loosen them up. then I can push the screen up or over to either side but not enough for it to clear enough space to allow them to be taken out. I have been playing with these screens since last summer and am totally frustrated. I will be getting out my ladder this weekend to go to the outside. I see that there is a metal strip along the bottom on the outside that has a screw at the bottom. Perhaps this strip comes off and then the screen slides out. I read a reference somewhere on the internet about taking Acorn screens off from the outside but no instructions. So I will check it this weekend. This is so frustrating to me. Once I get them out, I know how to replace the screen and spline. Just can't get them out!!!

If you are going to replace the screens, then just punch through the screen and pull out the frames by bending them until they fit through the opening.

Already did that with one screen. Re-screened it and it looks beautiful. Problem....can't get it back in the window!!! It's ok for me to bend and pull it to get it out, but now that it's fixed and nice and straight, there's no open space to slide it back in. So that's why I will attempt to take off a bracket on the outside of the window this weekend to see if it lets me find a space to slide it back in. I just can't understand why a company would make a screen that you cannot remove. I understand it is an old install from 1986 but even the older houses from the 40's and 50's at least have the pinch springs that you use to get the screens out. I'm just worried that I will have to bite the bullet and get all new windows and screens. Thanks for your response.

Curious if you figured out how to remove the screens yet? I recently moved into a Contemporary house that has the same Acorn Windows and I've been going crazy for the last year trying to figure out how to remove the screens to clean them and the window underneath. My last thought was also to remove the bottom bracket on the outside, but the screws are pretty old and stripped so I was a little hesitant to push too hard on them unless I was certain it was the solution

If you've had any success, please share. Thanks

Raise the lower sash 4 inches then tilt the sash in, letting you have full acseess to the screen.

Unhappy Re: How to remove Acorn window screens

Quote Originally Posted by hmit90 View Post
    Raise the lower sash 4 inches then tilt the sash in, letting you have full acseess to the screen.
    Has anyone figured this out yet?? I have been trying for an hour.
    This is so frustrating!!

Smile Re: How to remove Acorn window screens

OMG! How easy after once figuring it out. This is a fairy new home for me so was my first attempt. Anyway: There are two rubber latches on the top of the window. They slide inward and the window then unlatches and opens inward giving full access to the screen. Hooray!!!