+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaky hose bibb

Question Leaky hose bibb

I have a hose bibb awkwardly located on the front of my 1920s house, about six inches above the ground. When I turn it on, water leaks out of the valve control--not the faucet itself. The bibb is installed through the home's cement foundation and comes out right under the bottom row of cedar siding, so I want to try to fix it without having to replace it. Can I just replace the valve control?

Default Re: Leaky hose bibb

danner3:

The level of repair would depend on several factors---and what's causing the water to leak out of the packing nut/stem.

You can try simply shutting off the water supply, unscrewing the packing nut & adding some "packing" (looks like black thick, string) available at the home improvement stores, & re-installing the packing nut to see if this solves the problem.

However, if the hose bib is old, or has been there since the house was built, chances are the brass packing stem is worn---there are packing stem replacements made for recent faucets by the major mfgrs, but likely nothing for a very old faucet.

Modern repairs include freezeproof faucets (sillcocks) with a long 18" stem that will not freeze in winter that have a vacuum break to prevent a contaminated water siphoning hazard & are strongly recommended for hose bibs.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 07-28-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Is this a standard hose bib or a frost proof valve? If it's a standard valve and it's leaking around the stem, try tightening the nut at the base of the stem a little bit at a time. Test and tighten until the leak has stopped. Over tightening of the nut will make the valve hard to turn. If that doesn't take care of the problem, then you'll likely have to repack the bushing around the stem, requiring the water be turned off and disassembly of the valve.

If this is a frost proof valve I can't help, I'm not familiar with them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for those helpful replies. The hose bibb is definitely NOT frostproof; I'd say it's several decades old. I took a better look at it today and I'm going to try the packing nut repair, but the placement of the bibb is really awkward--the nut is pretty much hidden under the bottom of the house shingles. If I feel like it's beyond me (and loosening the nut looks like it will be challenging), I'll call our plumber and ask him to install a new, frostproof sillcock. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by danner3 View Post
    Thanks for those helpful replies. The hose bibb is definitely NOT frostproof; I'd say it's several decades old. I took a better look at it today and I'm going to try the packing nut repair, but the placement of the bibb is really awkward--the nut is pretty much hidden under the bottom of the house shingles. If I feel like it's beyond me (and loosening the nut looks like it will be challenging), I'll call our plumber and ask him to install a new, frostproof sillcock. Thanks again.
    Before attempting to disassemble and repack, try just tightening the nut. In my experience this will cure the problem, saving much time and hassles.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!