+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garage Options

Default Garage Options

I too am in great need of a new garage. I currently have a concrete pad with a wooden building on it. The shingle roof as well as the structure itself are rotting. I was hoping to replace the current building with a pole building but current town rules would require me to move the building about six feet from where it currently sits. I just wanted to replace what is there but I'm not sure that is possible. Someone suggested I just repair what is there but, I don't see how that is possible either because it is in such disrepair. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Garage Options

As I see it you have three choices. 1)Go to the Zoning Board and petition for a veriance 2)Buy an 8" strip along the property line from your neighbor. 3) repair the existing structure. Repair could be replaceing one entire wall at a time just don't doo it all at once.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Garage Options

You don't indicate the size of this structure, but another option may be to replace the current structure with a new garden shed. Most municipalities don't consider sheds to be a "permanent" structures, so permits are not generally required as long as the square footage of the roof is less than a certain amount (100 to 120 square feet ). Set back rules would still apply, but most neighbors don't really care about a shed on a property line, particularly if it's in good repair or masked by vegetation. Personally, I would maintain a minimum of 3' from fences or vegetation just so that you can get around it for maintenance and such.