+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Lathe and plaster walls

Our home was built in 1903 and has SEVERAL layers of wallpaper throughout. I sc****d the stairwell down to the "mudding" layer and some spots are down to the plaster. My husband thinks I have weakened the wall structure where the plaster is showing. I think not and feel we can just continue to remove the wallpaper down to the "mudding" and the places that the plaster shows through can be covered with something else to even the surface out for painting. I could be wrong and the "mudding" isn't really "mudding" but part of the plaster too. Help!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	More of Our Home February2010 007.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	3183  

Default Re: Lathe and plaster walls

The pictures came through so small that can't tell if I'm seeing old wallpaper residue, old wallpaper paste, or drywall paper. If your walls are plaster, not drywall, they would have one of these surfaces: 1) A smooth white coat of plaster. This is waterproof and any amount of scrubbing isn't going to bother it, and you can keep scrubbing with wallpaper remover until the surface is clean and ready to paint.
    2) a "float finish " or "sand finish" plaster. This is a coarser texture than in 1), and the surface was left intentionally sandy and rough. If wallpapered over, it's harder to get the paste off, but still, it is waterproof and scrubbable, tho' you will probably loosen some of the sand, but won't remove all of it.
    If there is some other condition, it is not original. There was no drywall in 1903.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I agree except that Gypsum interior plaster is not waterproof.

Lime, lime & gauging, and Keene's cement plasters are all waterproof enough that they can be scrubbed without reverting to a former state. Keene's is particularly tough.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Keene cement is a very good product for moist areas. We have used this product for years in showers and commercial kitchens.
    Lime , gauging and gypsum plaster are affected by moisture and are not waterproof.Scrubbing will NOT effect the plaster.