+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Should I be suspicious?

We are undergoing lead abatement in our 100 year old home using a grant from the city. The lead is present all along the window jambs, so our options are:
    a) vinyl replacement windows (ugh)
    b) strip the windows, add lead-block, reglaze, repair, etc.

City contractors tell us restoration is an extremely time-consuming, labor-intensive process, and that most people are unhappy with the results. I have stated repeatedly that we are happy with the way our windows work now (for the most part, there are a few that stick), why would we be unhappy after we spend $400 per window to have them restored? I suspect that they just don't want to do the work and would rather make an easy profit off the sale and installation of vinyl replacements. Do you think there is something fishy going on?

Default Re: Should I be suspicious?

I think you're right. replacement is the easier and more cost effective way to go and since they're paying for it, it's probably a huge tax write off because they've installed an energy conserving device.

Watch out though, some of those grants are taxable. Hmmm, come to think of it, if you have to pay taxes on the grant, then you should get the energy conservation write off.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Default Re: Should I be suspicious?

I don't think so. When you strip what is more than likely multiple layers of paint off you end up with gaps and leaky windows, plus the windows are probably single pane and inefficient. These problems can be remedied without replacing the windows but generally people find it easier to replace than repair. It is just going to depend on your dedication to keeping, repairing, and maintaining the existing windows.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb