+ Reply to Thread

Default ceiling fan noise

After my ceiling fan is operating for several minutes, it starts making a hum/buzz which gets louder and louder. What is it and how can I fix it?

Default Re: ceiling fan noise

You don't say how old the fan is. My guess is as the fan runs and warms up parts start to expand. It could be a loose laminent in the motor, a bearing, or the mounting box itself. If it's an older fan, I would either put up with the noise or replace it. Personally I would replce it.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The fan was here when I moved in in 1998. Is that old?

Quote Originally Posted by vmah View Post
    The fan was here when I moved in in 1998. Is that old?
    Yeah, It's old enough to consider replacing it.

You don't mention the quality level of the old fan, but the cheaper ones do tend to hum. My preference is for Casablanca, but there are any number of other mid to high end fans that will give many years of quiet, trouble free operation.

Stay away from the $29.95 junk at Home Depot, etc., and go to a place that specializes in the higher end stuff. It'll be money well spent.
    Jim D.

Exclamation Re: ceiling fan noise

This tip works like a charm. Buy a tube of clear silicone tub caulk. Stuff sticks and is rubbery. Remove bulbs and all glass shades. Using caulking gun, squeeze a bit at the outside base of the ceramic bulb holder. Secondly, apply a bead around the glass shade. Carefull not to get it on your fingers, replace the shade, tighten up thumb screws and add the bulb. End of vibration! End of annoying hum coming from the light kit.

Good sleeping!

Jack