+ Reply to Thread

Question need help choosing new tub/shower

I am getting rid of my old cast-iron tub and want to replace it with a traditional tub/shower with glass doors. What are my options? I've seen one-piece tub/shower enclosures that are affordable ($299-$400), but I'm concerned about the quality. I want it to last for a long time and for it to still look nice when I sell my home in 5-7 years. Also, what kinds of materials are used in tubs? I've heard of steel and acrylic. Again, I'm looking for good quality and value. I don't want a cheap solution that will need to be replaced in 5 years. I don't mind spending a little more for a better product, but I can't go crazy. We are doing a mid-priced bathroom remodel, not luxury.

As you can see I am completely clueless. Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: need help choosing new tub/shower

The first thing I would caution you about in shopping for your new tub/shower is that it must be able to fit through doors on the way to the bathroom. Most of the one-piece units are intended for new construction applications. The tub unit can be brought in before walls are framed. These do not work well in remodel applications.

We have been setting a lot of acrylic tub/shower units. They come in 4 pieces (one tub and three wall sections) which makes it easy for one worker to install. The walls on the units lock together to make for a secure connection in the corners. The units we have been installing are Sterling and Durawall.

We have also set some steel tubs and then done tile above or an acrylic tub surround. These too have turned out very nice.

I guess my suggestion would be to take a trip to the local homecenter or bath showroom and see what they have to offer. You have quite a bit to choose from.

Once you have made the choice, make sure the installer follows all the manufacturer's recommendations so your warranty will be valid. After that, sit back and "Let Calgon take you away".

Happy bathing!