+ Reply to Thread

Question Wrong way 2x4's in wall

I have a wall in the basement against the stairs that is very thin. The wall studs are not in the typical way; the wall board is set against the face, not the end. Here is my problem - I want to mount a 35 lb. flat panel TV to the wall. I should be drilling into a 3 1/2 inch stud but I only have
    1 1/2 inches to use. Could I screw a couple 2 X 4s right into the ones in the wall to make a thicker surface to mount the TV bracket?

Default Re: Wrong way 2x4's in wall

I am not a 'fella'. I am a 'gal' just asking a question about something I'm not sure of. I thought this was a forum I could get some input or suggestions. I'm just looking for reassurance before I go ahead with this.

35lbs is not all that heavy. Does the bracket for hanging the TV span two of the 2x4's? If so, then you can probably use 4 screws into the flat side of the 2x4's without worrying about it. Heck there are drywall anchors that are rated to 50lbs, not that I would trust 1/2" drywall to hold 50lbs, but they do carry that rating and they are only supported by 1/2" drywall.

Quote Originally Posted by Do dat self View Post
    I am not a 'fella'. I am a 'gal' just asking a question about something I'm not sure of. I thought this was a forum I could get some input or suggestions. I'm just looking for reassurance before I go ahead with this.
    You'll have to ignore the resident troll, he's just trying to bait conflict.

35 pounds isn't that much weight, and one would assume that you'll have at least two anchor points in at least two different studs, which means that the load is divided by the number of attachment points and studs. Even if it is only one point, 35 pounds is not a significant strain on a 2x4 even if it is a side load.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

1" is probably more than enough. the TV is hanging on the connectors it is not pulling them outward.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    the worse part was it was up 12 ft and i had to carry the tv up a 15' step ladder then another guy had to connect it to the bracket off another ladder
    Cool! Now I know who to call when I mount mine! Pick up Canuk on your way, would you?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    ill message canuk in a minute we'll be over about 2 hours before the super bowl starts, just make sure theres plenty of beer in the fridge and wings ready to eat
    After picking up Canuk, you're supposed to bring beer and pizza.