+ Reply to Thread

Default "Ikea Eldig Glass Ceramic Cooktop"

We are considering putting this on our island in the future, along with re-doing the kitchen with IKEA products. Question is, has anyone used this glass ceramic cooktop?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30091999

Looks like it uses electricity, if it does, does it heat up as quickly as a convential gas range?\

Owners please provide input!

Default Re: "Ikea Eldig Glass Ceramic Cooktop"

The folks I know that have installed glass topped cooktops are less that impressed with being able to keep them clean, meaning that any grease spatter will be virtually impossible to remove. The color you choose will help hide the grease, but ultimately, that's all you're doing is hiding it. The last glass top I installed was a black unit and the owners love the unit but hat the greasy schmere that they can't get rid of.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

so if any grease gets on it, it is most likely impossible to remove? There is nothing that can be done?

Quote Originally Posted by phatjo911 View Post
    so if any grease gets on it, it is most likely impossible to remove? There is nothing that can be done?
    Look at it this way. Glass and oil/grease - how hard is it to clean the glass to be streak/smudge free? It isn't that you can't do it, but it takes a lot of work. Considering that the kitchen is the #1 grease source in the house, generally concentrated around the cooktop, this is something that you're going to have to deal with. Now, some colors are better than others at hiding smudges and fingerprints. Black will be the worst, showing everything, white is better/best.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!