+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Circuit Breaker

Hybrid View

Default Circuit Breaker

I have a wall outlet that is properly wired but I can not find the specific circuit breaker that controls that outlet.
    When I shut down one breaker at a time the outlet remains live. When I shut down all 15 Amp Circuit Breakers at once the the outlet does finally shut down.
    The house is 5 years old and all electrical wiring is up to date.
    I have used a CB location device but it doesn't find the specific breaker either.

Any thoughts on solving this problem will be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Circuit Breaker

Work in the opposite direction. Turn all the breakers off. Then turn them on one at a time until the outlet is live. Mark that breaker, turn it off again and continue with the other breakers. If it comes on with more than one breaker you have a wiring problem.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I did use the reverse method originally and the outlet did not become alive until all circuit breakers were back on.
    I then assumed I had the correct (last one to be turned on) breaker
    only to discover that turning that one off did not shut off the
    outlet.
    I guess it is a wiring problem but what would cause such a situation to occur? Is it a bad breaker or a combination of breakers or what other possibilities could be at fault here?
    As I indicated earlier I did a check of the outlet to determine
    whether or not it was wired properly and the indication was that it was.
    Ant further assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    padric74

Even though the home is only 5 years old, has there been any electrical work done to it, specifically, has a 220 circuit been removed, but the breaker for it still feeding the circuits in question? What often happens is the tang that holds the breaker toggles together on a 220 breaker is removed in an attempt to make a 110 breaker and save $40. If this is your case, you'll get feed-through from the other side of the breaker when only one side is turned off. The repair for this is to change out the 220 breaker for a set of 110's of the appropriate amperage.

Something about your explaination on how you have tried to trouble shoot this does not sound right. If I were you I would follow McDanials advice to the letter and see if more than one breaker heats up the circuit.

It would be my bet that when the house was wired a couple of circuits that were intended to be separate got connected and are now being fed with two breakers which are on the same phase.

Is it possible this might be a switched outlet?

If it is maybe half might be on one circuit and the other half might be on another circuit.