+ Reply to Thread

Cool Remove load bearing wall

I want to remove a load bearing wall in my basement. The wall I want eliminated is 18'6" long. I have 2 X 12s floor joices above one span is 12' and the other is 14'. Height is a issue what are my best choices for this project. I have looked into a lam beam but the height of the beam is 12 - 18' tall and that would cut into my ceiling height. Can I make thicker beam and not as tall or use steel. There is another floor (2nd) above these rooms with a walk up attic/storage above the 2nd floor. Thanks

Default Re: Remove load bearing wall

Only a structural engineer on site doing loading calculations can tell you what size beam, made from which material will work in your application. Web info won't do it in this case.

I'm all for DIY, but in this case it's time to call professionals. Otherwise you may end up with your house folded in half and in the basement. You should probably re-think your project and divide it into smaller sections rather than an 18' clear span with a 2 story wall on top.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Ditto ... bp21901 and JLM .... you definately need an engineer to determine your needs at your home .

No one would be able to say otherwise when it is sight unseen.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Ditto to all previous postings. You'll need an engineer to calc and provide plans for a retrofit of this nature. Trying to support an 18' span alone is tough enough, you want to support a second story as well, no small order - call an engineer, well worth the time and money, honestly. Keep in mind that just because you call an engineer for this portion doesn't mean you cant do the majority of the work yourself. Only an engineer can suggest a suitable structure and materials to carry the designated loads within the confinements of your space.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!