+ Reply to Thread

Default Invest in Real Estate or Stocks???

I have some amount of earnings apart from the ones that I save for my necessities. I want the earnings invested in some real estate or may be in stocks. I do have some knowledge on stocks but, earlier my cousin had invested in the stocks and had a set-back. I know that you need to be updated in that but What is a better option from the two???

Default Re: Invest in Real Estate or Stocks???

Hi,

As being buyers agent I would suggest to go for real estate.

And, I also believe that to invest in stock is little bit risky as compare to other methods.
    Sam Thomas - Hidden Content
    Suite 16, los angelous, CA
    USA

depending on where you live...investing real estate in some area isn't that good right now.......on other hand investing in stock isn't that good either....
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

I suggest you to invest in Real Estate, because it is the hot market right now...

Ya shoulda bought some Berkshire Hathaway stock about two years back.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWalt View Post
    depending on where you live...investing real estate in some area isn't that good right now.......on other hand investing in stock isn't that good either....
    I would disagree- It's a great time to invest in real estate! If you live somewhere where the market is slow, you may have more choices and might be able to get a better deal than you could have a couple years ago.

Stocks may go up or down depending on the day, but over time, real estate values consistently rise.
    Read about my old house: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mjoy View Post
    I would disagree- It's a great time to invest in real estate! If you live somewhere where the market is slow, you may have more choices and might be able to get a better deal than you could have a couple years ago.

I did said "depending on where you live...."

Anyway, Have you look at housing market right now? It is buyer's market, not seller's market.

Of course anybody can buy house and hoping they'll get greater profit when it is time to sell but seriously look at the market right now. It is going down hill fast. On top of that, if anybody can get any loan then they're lucky.

Stocks may go up or down depending on the day,.

You need to learn more about stock market, mutual funds, 401k plus others...
    If stock market goes down few points today but raises a lot of points tomorrow, it doesn't means you're losing hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Hypothetically, if anybody invests in stock market 15 yrs ago for 4 dollars a share and then it rises to 200 dollars a share but drops to 100 dollars a share today, they're still way ahead of the game than any real estate market today.

but over time, real estate values consistently rise

Nope, look at real estate market right now........it is the lowest since 1999 and continue to drop. It'll takes approx 3 to 5 years [...give or take few] before we can actually sell our homes and make good profits.

http://www.marketwatch.com/personalfinance/realestate

Bottom Line......It is too risky to invest in real estate and stock markets right now.
    If OP wants to buy a house then they better prepare to live in same house for more than 3 to 5 years to get what they actually want in return.
    Last edited by BigWalt; 10-01-2008 at 05:30 AM.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.