I live in a beautiful pre-war (1926) apartment building in NYC, with plaster walls.

In my apartment there's a very small internal hallway that has a column that's showing the aftereffects of many cleaning ladies hitting it with a vacuum cleaner and movers being careless. The corners of it are full of chips.

I want to put on beautiful oak corner guards. I know where to get them, but I don't know how to install them. Any thoughts?

Thank you so much!