+ Reply to Thread

Default Garage demolition - how do I safely take it down?

We are replacing our original 60 year old, detached, one-car garage next month with a two-car garage with a workshop. How do we safely take down the old structure? We will not be renting any equipment (just a dumpster). The demo will all be done by hand. We know this process will be slower, but we plan to save some of the older wood for other projects as well as a little of the old siding which matches the house.

Do we cut, push, and run (just kidding)? Or work top to bottom? Or front to back? What is the safest way to complete this project?

Default Re: Garage demolition - how do I safely take it down?

Start from the top, you don't want a roof falling on your head. To salvage the most material and yet keep it as easy as possible, once the roof and trusses are removed remove the siding and sheeting, cut the corners, or disassemble the framing above the drive door. If you cut the corners remember that that is a lot of weight that will drop. be sure you are off the the side. You can then disassemble the framing on the sides or cut another corner and pull one wall down at a time and disassemble it on the ground if you have room. On a wall next or close to the property line pull the wall into he center of the garage. I would recommend bracing the last standing wall until you are ready to pull it down. You can use a sawzall to cut the corners.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The garage is 12x22, wood frame, and generally solid. The roof pitch is about 5:12 and has about 4 layers of badly decomposing shingles which contributed to some past water damage, but again it still, for the most part, structurally sound. It has wood siding with a layer of vinyl siding over it.

We are in Kirkwood, MO known for strict building codes. Since we already have our approved city permit to build the new garage, the city will allow us to take down the old structure without an additional demo permit.

It does makes sense to start with the roof and almost take it down in reverse of how it was built. The additional bracing sounds like the safest plan. Thanks for your help!

I have done some demo before . A reciprocating saw is worth it's weight in **** for this kind of project . I promise you !!

A chain saw is also handy. Erh,erh,erh, more power.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb