+ Reply to Thread

Default Build a better barbecue on a wooden deck

I enjoyed the article "Build a better barbecue" in the July/August magazine. However all the designs I've seen are on a patio on the ground. I'm interested in building an island that I can can be built onto a deck. Does anyone have any suggestions - I'm concerned about weight (the stone facing always looks nice). Or is my best bet to stretch out the island so it's supported by more deck joists. I'd like to incorporate a stainless barbecue insert that I already have (sitting in a steel frame right now), add a sink, preparation areas, and some storage underneath for the propane tank and other items like rotisserie, utensils . . .

Regards,
    Jim

Default Re: Build a better barbecue on a wooden deck

Quote Originally Posted by LogHomeFool View Post
    I enjoyed the article "Build a better barbecue" in the July/August magazine. However all the designs I've seen are on a patio on the ground. I'm interested in building an island that I can can be built onto a deck. Does anyone have any suggestions - I'm concerned about weight (the stone facing always looks nice). Or is my best bet to stretch out the island so it's supported by more deck joists. I'd like to incorporate a stainless barbecue insert that I already have (sitting in a steel frame right now), add a sink, preparation areas, and some storage underneath for the propane tank and other items like rotisserie, utensils . . .

Regards,
    Jim
    Jim , I was driving to work one day in Maryland about 5:30 in the morning. I happen to look at one of the homes and there seemed to be smoke coming from the rear of the home. I pulled into the drive and pounded on the door. A gentleman answered the door looking half a sleep. I told him what I observed. He ran to the back of his house. after about 10 minuest he returned to tell me his deck was on fire. He left it on and forgot to turn it off. Then a friend of mine did the same thing only they were woken up with the sounds of smoke detectors and the attic on fire and deck. Same thing a grill becareful Not a good idea
    Harry