+ Reply to Thread

Default Blown in: Cellulose vs Fiberglass

Any suggestions?

Our laundry room was built in the 90's on to our kitchen. its freezing back there in the winter (we live in the mid-west). the crazy folks built it with NO insulation in the walls!!!

So, i had one estimate for someone to blow foam in, but i didn't like the estimate because it mentioned to install a ventilation system for "quality air". off gassing? I got another estimate for fiberglass blown in. VERY expensive, since we live far out of the way. So now i'm considering blowing in cellulose myself.

One guy said its bad, the R value fluctuated in the humidity and in the winter its not as good as fiberglass.

Would the R value really change all that much? And, is cellulose (the blown in kind from Home Depot) safe to use in the wall that has the dryer vent thru it? Would it be a fire hazard?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Blown in: Cellulose vs Fiberglass

One guy said its bad, the R value fluctuated in the humidity and in the winter its not as good as fiberglass.
    Fiberglass is severly affected by moisture and air movement.
    Cellulose is a far better product.

I doubt the dryer vent will reach a temperature hot enough to be a concern ..... besides many folks use the cheap white plastic flex duct for dryers and they don't melt.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Cellulose is far supperior in walls if properly dense packed.it creates a better air barrior.If you use a 1" nossel to install it i would drill three holes per cavitie 1-1.5'from the bottom 1-1.5'from the top and 1-in the middle 1 hole dosent do the trick 2-holes is the way most pro's do it if their not using a tube to feed up to the top & bottom of the wall.I say three holes for you unless you can tube it simply because the machines you rent from the lumber yard generly are not as serviced or powerfull as the machines us pro's use. Oh yea, as long as the cellulose does not get wet around the dryer vent from a leak or something it will not hurt it at all.If your worried about it pull the vent out of the wall and stuff fiberglass insulation arround the hole so the cellulose will not be in contact with the dryer vent (good practice).

Both cellulose and fiberglass are very bad. They both compare in a way that they are both the worst way you can insulate a building.
    I have been using P2000 and every complaint you have had with either fiber glass and or cellulose, you will not have with P2000. So, not only will you have the most energy efficient house or office building on the city, but you will not have any indoor air quality problems as there are no chemicals.
    It is also the best priced insulation next to fiberglass.