+ Reply to Thread

Default The Money Pit - 1st-time HomeOwners

The "before" pix are only scary when looking at the framing and mold we discovered after taking down old plaster, etc. in our c.1850 house --- this is a "during" photo, and I promise to post an "after" photo when we finish in August (?). My husband is a first-timer and our GC and he has done nearly everything with the help of a handful of others (we started just over a year ago, and are scheduled this week to have our first inspections!). Much assistance has come from TOH -- thank G*d for tv and the internet and books!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moneypit.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	20  

Default Re: The Money Pit - 1st-time HomeOwners

I just want to say good luck to you on your first round of inspections. You sure took on quite a job when you purchased an c.1850 house. I know you will really enjoy your home when you are finished. Please keep posting pictures as you go along. I will be watching for them. Continued good luck to you.
    Hidden Content Have a great day, ladygolfer0
    Hidden Content You can also find me at Hidden Content

Smile Re: The Money Pit - 1st-time HomeOwners

Please make sure you post the "After" shot! We're all dying to see it!

Good luck to you!

-Your friends at TOH

Gave our landlady 30-days notice 2 weeks ago ... now we MUST move in on Sept. 1st (ready or not!). Bought 2 more toilets yesterday (finally found a good sale!), picked out final light fixtures today (so that electrician can install them as well as our oven), waiting for plumber to hook us back up to the well for water (many thanks to our neighbors who let us lead a hose from their house to ours for things like making cement -- geez, how many bags did hubby use? i know the cement mixer we bought 2nd-hand sped mixing up ... increased efficiency from 20 bags per day to 40!), today hubby moved his focus back to upstairs to build window-wells and start installing flooring upstairs, yikes! yikes! yikes! and yippee!!!

Here's a pix from last week, at start of flooring installation -- this view is the inside looking out the front (new 1st floor is 3 feet higher than old floor, 1st-floor ceiling height is now 8'3" versus the 6.5-7 we had before ... previous ceiling height varied lots!). Upstairs is 9'3", and with 7.5-foot attic we're now about 13 feet taller than before! More pix to come ...

p.s.
    We bought our kitchen from Green Demolitions and were psyched to see them mentioned in TOH magazine. They're gr8! http://www.greendemolitions.org/

Name:	DSCF0018.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	66  

here's my rendition of what we did to the house :-)

Name:	new plans 1009.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	67  

Quote Originally Posted by krgsmith View Post
    The "before" pix are only scary when looking at the framing and mold we discovered after taking down old plaster, etc. in our c.1850 house --- this is a "during" photo, and I promise to post an "after" photo when we finish in August (?). My husband is a first-timer and our GC and he has done nearly everything with the help of a handful of others (we started just over a year ago, and are scheduled this week to have our first inspections!). Much assistance has come from TOH -- thank G*d for tv and the internet and books!!!
    One day it will all just be a memory as hard as that is to believe...as you sit by the fireplace reading a good book.
    Trust me...as for me, I'm just a gluten for punishment...I finish em' and go onto the next one.
    Something about it thats so intriguing,,,ya know?
    (tell that to my wife...lol)
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Default Re: The Money Pit - 1st-time Homeowners

We are dying to see the end result.We took on a big project ourselves with a 1927 bungalo,but you are now my hero. Good Luck