+ Reply to Thread

Default measuring water flow

I have a 3 family house with all 3 units sharing the water, heating, and electrical utilities. I would like to install flow meters inline on the water lines going to each unit so that I can divide the water bill accordingly per usage. I've done some web searches but seem to be running into industrial applications only. The typical home improvement stores don't carry this type of product. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Default Re: measuring water flow

I don't know of anything like that you speak of, but if it exists, a plumbing contractor supplier will have it. This is definitely NOT something that a big box, consumer retailer will carry.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You should be able to get water meters from a local plumbing supply house, if you can't find them localy try ****** at water-meters.com
    Slow The Flow

Other than having the municipality install additional meters for each residence, I would suggest averaging the bills and working it into the rent instead.
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content

go to grainger.com and search for flowmeter to see some solutions. They start at $145 for a 22GPM, $242 for a 52GPM.

The best way for you to go would be to average the usage as suggested. You can not resale a public utility. If one of your tenants is aware of this you could be in big trouble.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    The best way for you to go would be to average the usage as suggested. You can not resale a public utility. If one of your tenants is aware of this you could be in big trouble.

John
    You would not be reselling the water if you are only using the additional meters to divide the water costs proportionally between the different units.
    If you add an upcharge to the cost, the reselling issue might come into play.
    Slow The Flow

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Tom