+ Reply to Thread

Question recycled glass countertops

Hi everyone! First time posting...I've been looking into the new recycled (is that an oxymoron?) glass countertops and since I'm a real do-it-yourselfer (as we are all), I'm thinking there must be a way to make one myself. From what I've seen and read it's a mixture of recycled glass and resin epoxy, but I'm not sure of the recipe. I'm thinking it would be similar to pouring a concrete countertop, which I thought was very cool, and making the form would be the same. Does anyone know how to do this and how difficult was it? Is it possible to tumble your own glass like tumbling rock? I've seen some of the prices on both the finished product and just on the tumbled glass, which is why I thought it would be advantageous if I could do it myself. Besides, it's not just the price aspect (which as we all know, is usually more than we think it's going to be) but the learning to do it myself aspect.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer, even if it's just to tell me I'm nuts!

Default Re: recycled glass countertops

Ok..you're nuts...LOL just kidding...

Actually it is good idea.

Breaking glass is easy [I would think] but getting clear resin is different story. I've seen resin turn yellowed after many years. On top of that it has to handle hot, cold, and safe for kitchen use.

Maybe someone here can think of something.

Default Re: recycled glass countertops

[QUOTE=cath61;29672]Hi everyone! First time posting...I've been looking into the new recycled (is that an oxymoron?) glass countertops and since I'm a real do-it-yourselfer (as we are all), I'm thinking there must be a way to make one myself. From what I've seen and read it's a mixture of recycled glass and resin epoxy, but I'm not sure of the recipe. I'm thinking it would be similar to pouring a concrete countertop, which I thought was very cool, and making the form would be the same. Does anyone know how to do this and how difficult was it? Is it possible to tumble your own glass like tumbling rock? I've seen some of the prices on both the finished product and just on the tumbled glass, which is why I thought it would be advantageous if I could do it myself. Besides, it's not just the price aspect (which as we all know, is usually more than we think it's going to be) but the learning to do it myself aspect.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer, even if it's just to tell me I'm nuts![/QUOTE]

never would do that when a person is being serious and sincere. I don't do glass counter tops but I will tell you that you need to be prepared to spend some money not just on product but you will probally need a fair amount of specialty tools. of course my opinion is if you have to buy tools buy the best, especially if you are going to use them more than once. the reason is the best usually will help you do a better job, do it easer, and quicker, plus I just feel more proud of my tools and work that way